Blue Badges in North Essex are issued by Essex County Council social services. A blue badge offers parking provisions to those who are eligible for the scheme. The blue badge gives individuals an exemption to certain parking restrictions and access to designated disabled parking spaces.
It is the blue badge user’s responsibility to check where a badge is permitted prior to parking and misuse of a blue badge may result in seizure of the badge and/or a Penalty Charge Notice being issued. Fraudulent misuse of a blue badge is a criminal offence.
Please call us on 01206 282316 for more information on the use of a blue badge in North Essex or Essex Social Services on 0845 6037630 for information on who is eligible and how to apply for a blue badge.
Blue Badge FAQs
Where can I use my Blue Badge?
In summary, a blue badge entitles the blue badge holder or their driver to park in the following places but only when the badge is clearly and correctly displayed:
- Double and single yellow lines (for up to 3 hours) displaying the clock set to correct time of arrival
- Blue badge permit holder only bays (displaying the clock set to correct time of arrival if there is a maximum stay period)
- Limited waiting bays (all day)
- Car parks – the terms and conditions will vary between car parks so always check the tariff boards.
- Resident permit bays/zones – entitles free parking all day in NEPP districts. This is not necessarily the case nationwide so please check with the relevant local authority.
Where can’t I park with my blue badge?
- On double or single yellow lines where there are adjacent kerb markings and adjacent signage indicating a loading ban.
- Loading bays, taxi ranks or any other parking places reserved for specific users other than blue badge holders.
- On pedestrian crossings or zig zag markings.
- Close to junctions, traffic lights or any other area likely to cause a danger to pedestrians or traffic congestion as stated in the blue badge booklet.
Can a family member or friend use my blue badge on my behalf?
A blue badge is only for use by the blue badge holder or by a driver who is driving the blue badge holder. A blue badge is not to be used to carry out tasks when the blue badge holder is not present. Our CEO’s are permitted to inspect and seize blue badges and may well contact the issuing authority if the blue badge holder is not present on inspection.
Is a foreign issued blue badge valid in North Essex?
We recognise foreign blue badges and there is no requirement to display a clock as many countries do not issue one of these.
Apply for a Blue Badge
To apply for or renew a blue badge, you need to contact the Blue Badge Team at Essex County CouncilApply
Blue Badge Scheme
Visit the government website for more information on how the Blue Badge scheme works in England and your rights and responsibilities as a Blue Badge user.
Apply for a Blue Badge
To apply for a Blue Badge, visit the Essex County Council website to apply directly. If you have any queries about the Blue Badge application process, you can speak to their team on 0845 6037630.
Essex County Council
Blue Badges in North Essex are issued by Essex County Council social services. Visit the Essex County Council website to find out if you are eligible for a Blue Badge and how to apply.